Take: 1 large sweet potato; 5 or 6 cloves of garlic; a good pinch each of garam masala, ground cumin and ground coriander; some ground black pepper; and a sploosh of fruit juice or leftover cooking water (e.g. orange juice, cooking water from rhubarb or apples).
1. Peel and chop the sweet potato and the garlic.
2. Put all the ingredients in a saucepan, with just enough water to cover.
3. Cook until everything is cooked i.e. potato soft enough that you can break it up with a wooden spoon. This should take about 20 minutes or so. If in doubt, overcooking this is better than undercooking.
5. Return to the saucepan and add extra water if necessary to get the right consistency. A good thick soupy consistency is perfect.
6. Serve hot, with bread and cheese.
Makes enough for 1-2 people, especially if one of the people is a baby.
This soup turns out very orange. If sharing with your baby and allowing her to self-feed, do not under any circumstances forget to put a bib on her. She needs one.